Thursday, August 10, 2006

People are just so, so, so stupid

Why do we bother actually trying to do anything to improve the world? Countless great men and women have spent their lives raging against the injustice and stupidity of the world, have fought to break the shackles round peoples souls and the walls that divide person from person, and what has happened? We swap old miseries for new miseries, shackles of steel for shackles of debt and constant surveillance. We've still got hatred, war, oppression, torture, cruelty, stupidity, malice, squalour and everything else, and it doesn't look like we ever won't so, why do we even dream about a better world? I sometimes wish I was an idiot, that I'd never read a book with small print, watched a decent film or listened to any music outside the charts. I feel like Platos prisoner who's turned round to see the fire and the walkway, but is still chained in place. I'm shouting at the others, but they don't want to listen.

It's probably something to do with being 18 and sober, now I think about it. I'm gonna go listen to Bill Hicks.

No comments: